Users: Can’t do much without them.
By completing this user management training module for RideAmigos Advanced Managers, you will be able to perform all major functions related to managing users within RideAmigos.
- Understand methods and options for user registration
- View, edit, and create users
- Reset user passwords
- Proxy as a user
Estimated Time for Completion: 25 minutes
(Each lesson will open in a new window so you can easily return to this module.)
Generally RideAmigos sites use either self-registration OR single sign-on connected to an existing organizational authentication server. This decision is generally made during scoping and onboarding. You may still want to review both methods to familiarize yourself with the platform’s capabilities.
- Confirm whether your site uses self-registration or single sign-on.
- If your site uses self-registration, determine whether you are using domain restriction for sign-ups.
- If you’re on a standalone site, review your site’s registration-related questions to ensure you’re gathering the information your program needs.
- If changes need to be made to your registration process, submit a ticket to our support team.
Lesson 2: Viewing, Editing, and Creating Users (~ 10 minutes)
An introduction to and explanation of the admin dashboard’s user management features.
Important Note: Advanced Network Managers must use the site’s User Self Registration feature to create new users. We recommend using test email addresses to self-register additional test accounts. If your site only allows SSO for access, skip new user creation and use your own user account for later exercises.
- Manually create two new users: “[YourName]Test BasicUser” and “[YourName]Test NetworkManager” (e.g. AlexTest BasicUser) using alternate email addresses you control.
- After user creation, find these users in your Members area, add the tag “Test” to your users and give them example home and work addresses, if they don’t have them already from registration.
Lesson 3: Resetting User Passwords (~ 5 minutes)
Users sometimes forget their passwords, or passwords need to be changed for security. While users can self-reset passwords, here’s how you can do so manually.
- Manually change the passwords for an example user you created just created to something memorable and secure.
Lesson 4: Proxy as User (~ 5 minutes)
One of the most powerful user management tools available to advanced managers is the ability to view the site as any user you manage.
- From your main management network, look up “[YourName]Text BasicUser” in the members tab and use the Proxy row action link to view the site as a basic user that is logging in for the first time.
- Explore your site for a few minutes, then be sure to log out of the test account to return to your manager account.
After completing all of the assignments for this module you should have created the following in your platform:
- User: [YourName]Test BasicUser
- User: [YourName]Test NetworkManager
- Both of these users should have some basic example data:
- Tagged as “Test”
- Home & Work addresses
- Any other example data you want to test
Double-check that you have successfully created all of the above objects and associations, they will be referenced in future modules.
Next Module: Network Management for Site Administrators